Monday, January 20, 2014

Why I Celebrate MLK Day

I am in love with someone who, a short 50 years ago, would not be considered equal to me and that is sickening. 

Thanks to the bravery and a dream of Martin Luther King, Jr., I am able to kiss my amazing boyfriend goodnight and hear his sweet voice say "Hello, Beautiful" in the morning when I awake.

Why do you celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr.,
Day?
Do you know when and why we celebrate MLK Day in January?
Have you let your child know why we celebrate this man?
Do you teach what he taught us?
If you're having trouble answering any of these questions PLEASE visit this LINK


I grew up in a small town in northern Alabama where the racial diversity was lack-luster to say the least. We observed MLK Day, but it wasn't until I got older that I realized communities do so much to honor him. When I was young my community didn't hold extra volunteer activities, prayer breakfasts, peace walks, etc to honor MLK Jr. Not to say that my community was terrible, uneducated, etc., but I do believe there could be more to honor him and to educate our children on how important it is to give back to our communities on MLK Day, after all, it is a Day On and not a Day Off.  

It wasn't until I moved to college and relocated upon graduation that I really started to understand how imperative it is to celebrate this extraordinary man and legend by giving back to our communities and take time to reflect and observe what he helped make possible today. 

His dream specifically touches me because I am in an interracial relationship. I can't imagine a time where I would be seen as better than him. A time where he wouldn't be able to watch a movie at the theater with me or even drink from the same water fountain as me. 

Never has MLK Day been as important to me as it has been this year. Nick and I were dating at this time last year but now that we have been together for a year it has really unveiled how important Martin Luther King, Jr., is in my life. 
http://www.archives.gov/press/exhibits/dream-speech.pdf
http://www.archives.gov/press/exhibits/dream-speech.pdf 
Thank you Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. You have made a huge impact on my life and my future. You did amazing things and I definitely plan to keep inspiring others as you did. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...