Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Doing the Impossible With Inspiration

"Just because that's the way it has always been doesn't mean that's the way it always has to be," - Bryan Ganey 


Bryan Ganey speaking at a luncheon at the Charleston Maritime Center. 
I will keep this as short as possible and make as big an impact as I can. In January of 2012 I made a choice; I decided that I no longer wanted to be big. Little did I know that my definition of big would be different throughout my lifestyle change and weight loss journey. I chose to make a lifestyle change because I don't like to use the word diet. I relate diets to fads and losing weight fast and while fast might be great, I was going for a lifetime of change.

With that being said I read a weight-loss article in EBONY Magazine that month and the lady went on to say she used an app on her phone called "Lose-It" to help track her physical fitness and caloric intake. I immediately downloaded the app. I later bought a pair of Nike shoes that were Nike+ enabled. This allowed me to walk daily and track how many calories I was burning and the distance I was walking each day. After downloading the Lose-It app and recognizing how many calories I was eating on a daily basis and then realizing how much physical activity was required to burn off the calories I was eating blew my mind.

I quickly began to change up my diet and exercise routine and by March my lifestyle change was in full swing. I had started to lose weight, I was down 20+ pounds and was feeling great! My pants weren't fitting anymore and my shirts hung on me. It was a great feeling and once you know that you're capable of doing such things you don't want to go back, especially when it comes to your health!

In August 2012 I landed a great job at a workplace that fosters a healthy lifestyle. I started walking three miles during my lunch break and would do another three miles after work. I was up to six miles a day and eating nothing but healthy food. I was in the best shape I had been in a very long time.

But as we all know, when you lose weight so fast, there comes a time where you don't lose it so easily or so fast anymore and that is called a plateau. This is where I am now. I have been in a plateau state for longer than I want to be, but today I am still losing weight, I am still healthier than I have been in a long time and I am now 100 pounds lighter. I walk everyday (except those days where it is too cold or raining which has been too often here in Charleston).

Bryan Ganey and I at the City of Charleston luncheon. 
I went to a phenomenal luncheon today that helped replenish my energy during this cold, gray and soggy Charleston winter, where too often I am not able to get outside and log six miles a day. I got to hear Bryan Ganey, a man who lost 400 pounds without surgery and who has been featured on Rachael Ray and Dave Ramsey. He spoke about his journey to becoming 400 pounds lighter and it was definitely beneficial to hear him as he was very relatable to me. I even related to him down to the fact that we both indulge in plain oatmeal (mine has a tablespoon of peanut butter) for breakfast, we both walk three miles during our lunch breaks and we both struggle just like most individuals who are fighting to live a healthy lifestyle after being larger, obese, unhealthy, whatever you may call it.

So to keep this short and sweet I will just say that on my weight-loss journey I have done what most individuals do when they strive to lose weight. I lost weight by eating better and walking more. I signed up for 5Ks, turned down my fair share of fast food meals and I love the healthier life I am living today because of all those choices. I am far from finished because this is a lifestyle change and I plan on having a long, fruitful life!

Congratulations to Bryan and his weight-loss journey. His life story helped motivate me during a time where motivation is much welcomed. If you would like to see more photos of me before and during my weight-loss journey please check the side panel of this blog.













No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...