Monday, March 31, 2014

Meatless Monday: Black Bean Burger

Today was my first day participating in Meatless Monday. Since I am not a huge meat-eater it really wasn't a challenge at all.

I have had my eyes set on some black bean burgers for a couple of weeks and today I finally took a stab at them. I never buy canned beans anymore because they're not as nutritious and a plain-out rip off. I prefer to buy the bagged beans, cook them in the crockpot for 6-8 hours, measure them out to two cups and bag then freeze until needed. I typically get around four two-cup bags out of each packet which is equivalent to four cans of beans. Not only is it healthier because I don't add any salt, seasonings, preservatives but it is cheaper. A can of black beans runs around 79 cents each while I can buy a bag for $1.50 and get four cans worth!

Now, to my black bean burger steaks. I decided I didn't want any bread or buns in this meal so I omitted the bun and decided I wanted to serve it with a bed of spinach and sautéed vegetables. This meal calculated in at 338 calories and was very filling.


Black Bean Burger Recipe

14 ounces of black beans (rinsed and cooked)
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
2 eggs
Garlic
Creole Seasoning
Paprika
Coconut Oil (optional)

1. Mash beans until they reach a mashed consistency.
2. Add seasonings, bread crumbs and eggs then mix.
3. Once well mixed shape into patties.
4. Place in a skillet over medium heat for 5-10 minutes. (I added a little coconut oil to my pan to prevent sticking)
5. Once browned on the stove place in the oven to broil for 5-10 minutes (long enough to brown) on each side.
6. Enjoy!

Calories: 95
Servings: 5
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes


Additional Suggestions:
Serve with a bed of salad and sautéed vegetables for a nutritious and filling meal that totals in right under 400 calories! This meal is great for Meatless Monday or any other day for that matter.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...