Sunday, August 31, 2014

Lowcountry Shrimp And Grits

I was talking to my sister a couple of weeks ago and mentioned how I was craving shrimp and grits. She couldn't believe people would actually put shrimp in their grits, as she likes sugar and butter, but I definitely reassured her that shrimp in grits is almost one of the best things she could probably try!

Being from Alabama I hadn't heard of shrimp and grits until I moved to Charleston, but boy have I had my share since moving. Each time I cook the delectable dish I prepare it a different way. This batch was probably my best batch thus far and I wanted to share it with you guys, because who couldn't benefit from a good shrimp and grits recipe?


Ingredients:
As much shrimp, okra, garlic and onion powder / seasonings as you prefer
Grits (I used instant)
8 ounces chicken broth
1 pint of light cream

Directions:
1. Prepare grits as directed on box, but substitute water for cream and broth. The more broth you use the "meatier" the grits will taste and the more cream you use the richer and creamier your grits will taste.
2. Prepare shrimp as directed on packaging
3. Once grits are almost finished toss in desired amount of okra and shrimp
4. Finish cooking grits, okra and shrimp until desired
5. Top with shredded cheddar cheese

Enjoy!

*Please note that the shrimp I used was also already peeled, deveined and cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...