Sunday, August 3, 2014

Homemade Sunflower Butter

Does your diet consist of staples? I'm sure some of you eat a variety of items each day, but do you have something you eat more than five times a week? For me it is oatmeal. I eat oatmeal each day for breakfast and sometimes I make protein balls with it or I bake it into cookies, but all-in-all I eat oatmeal like it is going out of style. Alongside my oatmeal I like to mix in a couple tablespoons of sunflower butter, but when I am stretched for money I opt for the less healthy counterpart – peanut butter.

Recently I have been really stretched financially so I've used peanut butter, but I went to Trader Joe's this morning and grabbed a bag of roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds. Let me just add in that I went Whole Foods first and priced a 12-ounce bag of seeds for $3.99 but I figured they would be cheaper at Trader Joe's. They were definitely cheaper! For a 16-ounce bag it only cost me $1.99 and that was too great of a deal to pass up. 

I've been wanting to make my own sunflower butter for weeks and finally got around to purchasing the products and actually having the time. So, get ready for the easiest and healthiest option for sunflower butter! 








Ingredients: 
2 cups of roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds 
1 teaspoon of salt (optional)
1 blender

Directions:

1. Take two cups of roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds
2. Add to a blender and blend (scraping sides often)
3. Once a powder is created continue to blend until liquified
4. Once liquified add 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of salt
5. Blend until smooth and liquid

Note: the heat from the blender blades will release the oils in the seeds and that will speed the liquifying process along.  I also used the whip feature at the end of the process just for texture.

Nutrition Facts:
Calories: 100 per tablespoon 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...